Drain lines can only be examined by a specialized sewer drain camera
Whether you are on the city sewer system or a private septic, this inspection will tell you if there are issues with the lines and what repair work may be needed.
Here’s what we can find with a sewer scope inspection:
- Tree Roots
- Vegetation growth can occur underneath your home overtime which can lead to damaged pipes.
- Overtime settlement or improper installation can lead to bellies which cause poor drainage.
- Undetected leaks can occur underneath your home. Leaking sewage can lead to home settlement and bad odors.
- Cast Iron drain lines are known to corrode from the inside out overtime.
Why is a Sewer Scope Inspection Important in Gig Harbor Before Buying an Older Home?
During the life of a home many things can occur underground to the sewer lines without the homeowner knowing it. So, when purchasing a home, gather all the information, including the condition of your sewer lines. “All kinds of things can be detected by a sewer scope,” shares Boggs. “Tree root invasion, pipe breakage or pipe collapse can all be seen during the inspection.”
Tree root invasion is one of the most common in our year-round growing climate in the south sound. Over time, small roots can creep into tiny crack and openings in the sewer line and begin to expand. They often then form traps for debris traveling down the sewer line, creating backups and clogs. Ultimately, the roots will cause breakage in the lines leading to leaks and line failure.
Homes constructed prior to 1950 have sewer lines made of a tar paper substance called Orangeburg pipes. Over time, these pipes disintegrate and collapse. The only way to determine if an older home (60+ years) still has Orangeburg pipes is with a sewer scope inspection.
The process is extremely easy yet can save you thousands or tens of thousands of dollars in repair, excavation and landscape destruction. “The inspections typically run about $200 to $250,” shares Boggs. “That’s a small price to pay for the peace of mind that your sewer lines are in good shape, possibly saving you thousands in future repairs.”
Historic bungalows and sprawling mid-century ranches are desirable in today’s market for unique and character filled homes. But, they come with hidden risks. A sewer scope can check one of those off your list.
Why Have a Sewer Scope Inspection Gig Harbor WA?
- Peace of Mind – How do you know your sewer is good? Having the sewer inspection conducted can take the guess work out of the equation once they have diagnosed the problem. With good results there are no worries of unexpected costly repairs.
- Be Proactive – If smaller issues are found you can fix them after the closing. A small plumbing problem can lead to bigger ones over time if not taken care of. This can result in those costly repairs.
- Avoiding the Costly Repairs – If you know going into the sale that there are major problems in the sewer line and sewage system, you can negotiate a lower purchase price of the home. You can also ask the seller to fix the issues and if they refuse, walk away. You always have a choice and that can help you avoid the taking on the expense of the fix yourself.
About Gig Harbor
Gig Harbor is becoming the destination place for young families. Whether you are looking for a condo in town or a larger home on the outskirts, we can help. Our experience with the Gig Harbor area and our high level of training help us provide the best sewer scope inspection for you.
Where we Service
We complete home inspections in these counties: Pierce, Thurston, Mason, Lewis, Grays Harbor, and South King.
Check This Out
Our Clients Absolutely Adore Us
Our inspector, I believe his name was Jon, did a very thorough job. He identified three leaks in the roof that the homeowner wasn't aware of, asking other smaller items. I was very pleased with the results.Delwin DavisGoogle Review
We really appreciate the attention George gave to addressing the home inspection, his input about the various issues, and the report format makes it easy for us to find information and understand the issues noted.Michael HorntvedtGoogle Review
They were very thorough. Our inspector took the time to show me things, explain things, and answer my questions. I was very impressed and pleased. Would recommend Bogg’s and if needed use them again.Jennifer ReyesGoogle Review