Drain lines can only be examined by a specialized sewer drain camera
Whether you are on the city sewer system or a private septic, this inspection will tell you if there are issues with the lines and what repair work may be needed.
Here’s what we can find with a sewer scope inspection:
- Tree Roots
- Vegetation growth can occur underneath your home overtime which can lead to damaged pipes.
- Overtime settlement or improper installation can lead to bellies which cause poor drainage.
- Undetected leaks can occur underneath your home. Leaking sewage can lead to home settlement and bad odors.
- Cast Iron drain lines are known to corrode from the inside out overtime.
Why is a Sewer Scope Inspection Important in Kent Before Buying an Older Home?
During the life of a home many things can occur underground to the sewer lines without the homeowner knowing it. So, when purchasing a home, gather all the information, including the condition of your sewer lines. “All kinds of things can be detected by a sewer scope,” shares Boggs. “Tree root invasion, pipe breakage or pipe collapse can all be seen during the inspection.”
Tree root invasion is one of the most common in our year-round growing climate in the south sound. Over time, small roots can creep into tiny crack and openings in the sewer line and begin to expand. They often then form traps for debris traveling down the sewer line, creating backups and clogs. Ultimately, the roots will cause breakage in the lines leading to leaks and line failure.
Homes constructed prior to 1950 have sewer lines made of a tar paper substance called Orangeburg pipes. Over time, these pipes disintegrate and collapse. The only way to determine if an older home (60+ years) still has Orangeburg pipes is with a sewer scope inspection.
The process is extremely easy yet can save you thousands or tens of thousands of dollars in repair, excavation and landscape destruction. “The inspections typically run about $200 to $250,” shares Boggs. “That’s a small price to pay for the peace of mind that your sewer lines are in good shape, possibly saving you thousands in future repairs.”
Historic bungalows and sprawling mid-century ranches are desirable in today’s market for unique and character filled homes. But, they come with hidden risks. A sewer scope can check one of those off your list.
Why Have a Sewer Scope Inspection Kent WA?
- Peace of Mind – How do you know your sewer is good? Having the sewer inspection conducted can take the guess work out of the equation once they have diagnosed the problem. With good results there are no worries of unexpected costly repairs.
- Be Proactive – If smaller issues are found you can fix them after the closing. A small plumbing problem can lead to bigger ones over time if not taken care of. This can result in those costly repairs.
- Avoiding the Costly Repairs – If you know going into the sale that there are major problems in the sewer line and sewage system, you can negotiate a lower purchase price of the home. You can also ask the seller to fix the issues and if they refuse, walk away. You always have a choice and that can help you avoid the taking on the expense of the fix yourself.
About Gig Harbor
Incorporated in 1890, Kent was the second city incorporated in King County, Seattle being the first. Known to be the lettuce capital of the world, Kent is now the fourth largest manufacturing and distribution area in the United States. Looking for a sewer scope inspection in Kent? Let Boggs help.
Where we Service
We complete home inspections in these counties: Pierce, Thurston, Mason, Lewis, Grays Harbor, and South King.
Check This Out
Our Clients Absolutely Adore Us
We had a second person show up (George) just to see the house. The inspection was thorough. The people where friendly. We got the inspection the day after we called which was awesome. We have not gotten the report yet. The inspector did show us pictures and explain everything he found. I highly recommend them.Diane SpencerGoogle Review
We had a home inspection done for a home we were purchasing & Kris D came out & was excellent. My husband and I had called a few places but nobody was responding. After calling Boggs, they reached back out instantly and got us an appointment for 2 days out. I highly recommend them. Kris was extremely thorough and professional.Sam RGoogle Review
Very good experience with Boggs. Our inspector was beyond thorough. I had a couple questions for the office before our inspection and they were very responsive. I’m not sure the comparison for the price. Boggs was my first choice based on the reviews. Based on the price I feel like we got a great dealLeah WoogGoogle Review